The SNAP Challenge
SNAP Challenge Guidelines
- For five days, spend no more than $4.20 per person per day ( the NC daily allowance for SNAP ) on the food you eat.
- You may prorate items you purchase but do use it all and can use the remainder later.
- Using salt, pepper and basic supplies you keep on hand does not count against your total expenses UNLESS you were out and had to purchase more.
- Do not eat food purchased prior to beginning the challenge.
- Eat as healthy as possible. Those living on SNAP allocations do not have the opportunity to make up for missed nutrition next week.
- It helps to plan out your menu before going to the store so you purchase ingredients that can be used more than once.
- Donate the additional money you would have spent on food during that time to the Durham CROP Hunger Walk where 100% of the money raised goes to hunger-fighting agencies locally and around the world.
- If you cheated (which many of us do), be sure to reflect that in your donation and personally reflect on the fact that SNAP recipients do not have that option – it is all day, every day for them.
- Share your experiences:
- During the challenge involve your friends and family – challenge them! Do an online diary showing your grocery receipt, meals, etc. and share what you are experiencing and learning.
- After you are done, post your lessons and then challenge two people you would like to take the challenge to sign up.
- If you would like assistance with creating a video, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use #EndHungerNow and #ENDHungerGames when you share SNAP Challenge posts online.
A new browser tab will open with the Survey Monkey registration form.